My mouth was watering when this amazing Lemon Loaf Cake came out of the oven. I could hardly wait to drizzle the fresh lemon glaze over the cake while it was still warm before cutting into it. This loaf cake is not to be compared to pound cake. It’s way better, fluffy, moist, and made from fresh lemons from my lemon trees.
Always use Fresh Lemons for the Lemon Loaf Cake
I am fortunate to have 2 lemon trees in my garden and they produce the most amazing lemons throughout the year. You cannot get fresher than that! My trees produce lemons larger than my hand!! They also produce more than we can eat or squeeze so we like to share them with our neighbors.
This Fluffy Lemon Loaf Cake is the perfect dessert to take to friend’s houses, get-togethers, or parties. It’s also great in the morning with coffee.
Lemon Loaf Cake Pans
You can use a regular-sized loaf pan approx. 7.5 x 3.7 x 2.3 inch or use the larger pan at 10.9 x 3.7 x 2.3 inch. This recipe will yield 2 regular pan sizes or one large pan size. Every kitchen needs a “loaf keeper”, an airtight container for your loaf cakes. I need to get one myself. You will also need a cookie rack and drain pan when you drizzle your lemon glaze on the cake.
Lemon Loaf Cake Recipe
Fluffy Lemon Loaf Cake with Fresh Lemon Glaze
- 3 Cups All purpose flour
- 2 Cups Granulated Sugar
- 4 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 3 tbsp Lemon Zest From 3-4 lemons
- 4 Lg. Eggs Room Temperature
- 1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 Cup Unsweetened Applesauce Room Temperature
- 1 tsp High quality Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/2 Cups Plain Yogurt Room Temperature
Fresh Lemon Glaze
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Lemon Juice strained
- 5 tbsp Powdered Sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Coat two approx. 8 x 4" pans or one 10 x 4" pan with cooking spray or brush softened butter on the pan/s and coat with flour.
- Zest your (3-4) lemons now. This will take a few minutes to get 3 tbsp. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt – Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar and lemon zest and rub the mixture together with your fingers until the sugar is coated. I use rubber gloves. Stir in eggs one at a time, lightly mix, then add vanilla, oil, applesauce and yogurt.
- Fold in dry ingredients slowly and mix until just combined. Pour the batter into the prepared pans about 2/3 full and smooth the top. Bake until the top of the loaf is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean, for a regular-sized loaf about 45-60 minutes depending on your oven. For muffins or mini loaves approx. 16-20 minutes.
Making the Glaze
- While your cake loaf is in the oven and close to being done, mix the glaze ingredients in a small saucepan and let it come to a boil then take it off the burner. (Add a little more or less lemon juice or powdered sugar depending on how thick or thin you like it), as long as it pours nicely on your cake. When the loaf is done, take a thin spatula around the edges of the cake to loosen it from the pan and then turn the cake out onto a cooling rack. Poke a few holes with a toothpick so some of the glaze can seep into the cake. Slowly pour the warm glaze over the top of the warm cake loaf. Let the loaf cool completely or cut into it when it's almost cooled to room temp. and enjoy it warm. YUM! Store in an airtight container.
Thanks for visiting. Stay awhile and check out my other Cake Decorating Ideas!
Other great Cake Designs
- Popular Carpenter Cake Ideas – Tool Cake
- Easy Strawberry Glaze Recipe for Cheesecake
- Classic 2022 Graduation Cake Design
- Exquisite Buttercream Stencil Cake Design
- Memorable Nursing Retirement Cake